The journey, not the arrival, is what matters.

The journey, not the arrival, is what matters. 
         - T.S. Eliot

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

I mean...

I mean...this guy. 

Time for another update I suppose...

Michelle and I enjoyed the rest of or time in Paris. We spent lots of time walking around sightseeing the city and meeting more great people at our hostels. And then finally we picked Luke up at the airport on the 14th. 

Luke arrived late after more than a 4 hour delay in Toronto. But luckily he wasn't too tired when he got to Paris, so we dropped our stuff at the hostel, and set off for the Eiffel tower. 

We took the stairs up the first two floors, because it's good exercise an it's cheaper, and we're all about exercising and saving money around here since we enjoy far too much European desserts. Then we took the elevator up to the top, got the birds eye view of Paris, and went down. 

We went to dinner in the Latin Quarter, saw Notre Dame and the outside of the Louvre, then headed back to our hostel. By that time it was around 10 and Luke had been up for over 24 hours straight, so he went to bed. But, that day was Michelle's birthday, so we went down and had a few bottles, I mean glasses, of wine with a couple guys we had met the night before. 

The next day we saw a little more of Paris, then caught our plane to Venice. Au revoir for the last time Paris! 

Kevin picked us up at the airport, and we headed to his house to settle in for the next three nights. The next day, he took us on base and signed us on so we could do laundry. Let me just say that I have never, in my entire life, been more excited to do laundry. Ever. After laundry, we went grocery shopping, and since it's an American base, they have an American style grocery store with American foods, so I stocked up on all the essentials: sun chips, BBQ potato chips, reese's peanut butter cups, and premade cookie dough. 

We came back to Kevin's and prepared our Mexican fiesta. I still had Taco Bell meat seasoning in my backpack from the package mom sent me, so we had tacos with good meat, refried beans, and homemade salsa courtesy of Kevin. And some margaritas. Then Kevin had some friends over, and we finally celebrated Michelle's birthday and Luke's  graduation properly. Quite the party. I think that's about all we need to say about that night. 

The next day, we caught an early train to Venice and spent the day in Venice. Unfortunately, it poured while we were there, so we came back to Kevin's for dinner, which was, in my opinion, the best part of the day because...

We had Taco Bell for dinner! I know you might all think that's ridiculous. I mean, I'm in Italy and I'm eating Taco Bell?? Yes. I am. I haven't had Taco Bell since I left the States, there are just none anywhere in Europe. But, Kevin's base had a Taco Bell, and I simply couldn't pass up the opportunity. 

After dinner, we all packed and fell asleep early to try and catch up on some sleep from the night before. The next morning, we headed off to Cinque Terre. 

We caught another early train from Venice to Cinque Terre. We stayed in the second village, Manarola. We had to walk up a significant hill to get to our hostel, but luckily it wasn't as bad as the epic trek mom and I had to climb to get to our place. We checked in, then set off to find some dinner. We enjoyed our dinner, then picked up some wine on the way home, and went back to the hostel. 

Let me just say...this group lovesssss playing cards. I'd consider it a minor obsession. Our favourite games are 13, lucky, and garbage. 

We spent the rest of that night enjoying the wine, our cards, the Italian sunset, and each other's jokes. 

The next day was our hiking day.  We got up early, took the train to Corniglia, walked up the hundreds of stairs, then hiked from Corniglia to Vernazza, and then from Vernazza to Monterosso. Later in the day we also hiked from Riomaggiore to Manarola. We hiked soooo many stairs and had a nice morning workout, but really enjoyed the exercise and the beautiful views. 

Luke ran up some of the stairs because he said he wanted a better workout, and on my way up behind him, he ran past a lady who turned around to watch him run behind her, and then asked her friend what the word was for 'crazy' or 'nuts' in Italian. 

After our hikes, we laid on the beach  for a couple hours, swam in the ocean, ate some paninis, and worked on our tans. This is such a hard life. 

After that, we went back to Corniglia to eat at the restaurant that mom and I ate at so many times. I, of course, got pesto lasagne once again, and bruschetta. Luke and Kevin go pesto lasagne too. Michelle was feeling adventurous so she ordered the pruschitto and melon. It was a cantelope cut into slices and just topped with tons of pruschitto. Not bad.

Then, we headed back to take showers, drink wine, and play cards...again. Our hostel was nice, but had lots of restrictions...one being a five minute shower per day limit. Every day, we got one token for a five minute shower. But we all decided to save our token the first night and use both the second night to have 10 minute showers. This plan worked for everybody - except me. You couldn't put both tokens in at the same time, so you had to shower for 5 minutes, then get out and put in the other 5 minute token - slightly annoying but would have been fine except the machine ate my second token. So I'm standing there in my swimsuit, soaking wet, conditioner still in my hair, wondering how I'm going to run down to the front desk to tell the nice man that the shower machine ate my token. But luckily another girl in he bathroom witnessed my plight,and went down and got another token for me. 

The next morning we got up early, again, to take the train to Florence. Since Michelle and I have rail passes, our ticket was free. The rail passes have saved me quite a bit of money I think. We spent the rest of the day shopping around Florence an bartering with the sellers. With Michelle and I both bartering, we got some killer deals! 
 
Think that's about all for the logistics of our lives. Otherwise, we have just been having a great time all hanging out. And eating. Here's a couple quick highlights of our lives:

Lucas is really enjoying the food. He has been trying all the different foods, and has officially decided that the Italians have the best food. He is also enjoying being legally able to drink over here. 

I am enjoying hanging out with the fam, but am starting to get really anxious to get back home! I cannot believe it's been almost six months already! 

Michelle and Luke really enjoyed Cinque Terre. They both said it was their favourite place so far. 

Michelle is enjoying Italy, and the bartering and street vendors. She is also enjoying Kevin. I mean, really enjoying Kevin. I'd say the feeling is mutual, at least according to Luke and I's observations. 

In all honesty though, Kevin has been a great addition to this crazy family vacation. We have all really enjoyed his company. 

We named Luke's backpack Giovanni.  

We have lots of artwork now, since the street vendor liked my eyes, and gave us some serious deals on the paintings. He would have given me a free one for a kiss, but I thought was a little too desperate, even for my style, so I refused. 

We are all starting to sound the same. We have started a quote board on a placemat we got. But, since we have been spending so much time together, we are starting to say the same phrases. 

Okay, enough typing for now. Ciao

PS - sorry for all the typos, it's sort of hard to type this much on a little tiny iPod keyboard, so just substitute your best guess for a word if it's completely wrong.

1 comment:

  1. Audrey it is really too bad that I was not there, because as we are eye twins we both know that I would have taken the free painting for a kiss. Call me desperate if you wish... Bhahaha especially if I had any wine in my system at all. I miss you and I love reading your blog every now and again to catch up on your travels. See you soon!!

    ReplyDelete